Begin your French cooking course with a guided walk around Nice’s wonderful Liberation food market popular with the locals with Chef Aude who will show you how to pick local and seasonal produce and will introduce you to local specialities before you head back to the kitchen to begin cooking.
The aim of the cooking course is to take you on both a culinary and cultural journey starting at the market and ending by giving you the skills and techniques to cook a great 3 course French menu, all in a warm and welcoming environment.
You’ll also enjoy an additional, exclusive session with Chef Aude to discover two special Nicoise dishes for yourself taking home the famous Pissaladière and Tourte aux blettes sucrée to enjoy at your leisure.
Discover the gastronomic delights of Nice on a wonderful guided tour of one of Nice’s most popular markets and go learn to cook delicious French dishes for the perfect culinary addition to a holiday in Nice.
- Suitable for all levels from complete beginners to experienced foodies
- Your chef is French but Chef Aude also speaks English
- Please note: Lessons are conducted primarily in French and French locals also participate in the classes. Some English translation might be offered depending on the class size, but French is the primary language for the class
- Minimum age: 14 (children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult)
- Non cooking guests are welcome to join you for the meal at the end of the course for a small cost which you can find by clicking on the ‘costing and extras’ tab (you can add this extra during the booking process)
French Cookery Course And Market Visit Start Days
- This French cooking course in Nice runs on Tuesdays year round
- Market visits start at 9am followed by cooking lessons starting around an hour later
- Other days of the week may be available on request, please email email@example.com or call 08445020445 with your preferred date to check availability
Market Visit And Cooking Course Itinerary
- Meet Chef Aude at the cooking boutique at 9am before walking to the Liberation Market in Nice for a guided tour where you’ll discover a host of food producers and have the chance to sample local delicacies
- After your market tour, you’ll head to Chef Aude’s cooking school
- Cooking classes run for around 3-4 hours and after the lesson you’ll sit down together to enjoy the meal you’ve learned to cook accompanied by local wines from the region
- After your meal, Chef Aude will run an exclusive session with you to introduce you to the history and will explain the making of two Nicoise specialities, the pissaladière and also tourte aux blettes sucrée which are wonderful dishes both specific to the area
- Pissaladière which is a type of pizza and is believed to have been introduced to the area by Roman cooks during the time of the Avignon Papacy, it can be considered a type of white pizza, as no tomatoes are used
- Tourte aux blettes sucrée is a sweet swiss chard tart, a true delight as you’ll discover
- Chef Aude will give you both a sample of the Pissaladière and Tourte aux blettes sucrée to take away with you at the end of the course to enjoy at your leisure
What Will I Learn?
- Nice is famous for its flavours and fresh ingredients and you will learn how to use these in this hands-on cooking course developing a new method of cooking with a focus on Nicoise specialities
- Your chef will teach you to be creative and cook with confidence
- At the start of your course, Chef Aude will discuss the daily menu and what you will cover during your one day French cooking course
- Chef Aude will run an exclusive session with you at the end of the course to introduce you to the history and will explain the making of two Nicoise specialities, the pissaladière and also tourte aux blettes sucrée
About The Market
- The Marché de la Libération is one of the biggest fruit and vegetable markets in Nice. Covering both sides of wide Avenue Malausséna and reaching as far as Boulevard Joseph Garnier, the market stalls occupy every available space. You can find just about everything here!
Sample French Menus
Dishes vary according to the season and what food is available fresh at the market but may include:
- Zucchini flowers with prawns, parmesan cream
- Piccata chicken cream balsamic vinegar with spices
- Chorizo tart tomatoes and parmesan
- Tomatoes stuffed with ricotta and vegetables
- Kind Prawns en croûte de chapelure d’orange
- Slow cooked pork tenderloin in a golden crust
- Egg ‘en neige’ served with a fondant heart and chorizo
- Pavé of fish with olives, bacon and slow cooked fava beans
- Millefeuille, caramelised mango and ice cream
- Chocolate Crémeux and lightly spiced crumble
- Mascarpone mouse, grapefruit cream and meringue
- Local wines are carefully chosen to accompany the food you’ve learned to cook
- Dietary requests can be catered for including vegetarians if advised before booking
About Chef Aude
- Chef Aude is friendly and easy going and speaks good English
- With a diploma in hospitality and culinary arts from the ‘lycée hôtelier de Strasbourg’ Aude has honed her skills over 15 years, working with the famous Dalloyau family in Paris as well as many other recognised gourmet restaurants
- After many years of experience cooking and travelling Aude decided to open her own cookery boutique where she could share her knowledge and techniques with her students, allowing then to cook like a top chef in their own home
- As a firm believer that great food can and should be made by everyone her style of teaching is down to earth, encouraging you to create impressive dishes with a minimum level of effort
Turn a holiday in Nice into a truly memorable event as you combine a market tour with a wonderful French cooking course in Nice with Chef Aude and you’ll learn skills that will stay with you long after the holiday is over.